The DVLA is reminding motorists to make sure they do not break the rules when towing a caravan.
Caravan holidays are becoming increasingly popular, with industry figures showing that bookings for 2019 are up by 16% on last year.
There are potentially thousands of motorists who need to check their entitlement to tow, as UK tourists spend around 50 million nights in the UK’s 555,000 touring caravans.
“It’s important that all motorists know what their driving licence allows them to drive and if they’re entitled to tow.”
– DVLA Strategy, Policy & Communications Director, Lynette Rose
If people are not sure, they should visit GOV.UK where they can find out if they’re entitled to tow quickly and easily.
Depending on when you passed your driving test depends on how the rules apply to you. There are different towing rules for motorists who passed their test before 1 January 1997.
Whether checking the categories of their driving licence or the weight allowance they can tow, motorists can find the information they need to drive safely this summer on GOV.UK.
“Caravans are a fantastic way to explore the country and it’s very important to us that we do all we can to help holidaymakers do so safely and legally.”
– Director of Marketing at the Caravan and Motorhome Club, Harvey Alexander
Did you know?
- The Caravan and Motorhome Club says it has experienced the most successful start to the year ever, with bookings to its 2,700 UK sites up by 16%.
- Motorists who passed their test before 1 January 1997 are usually allowed to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8,250kg maximum authorised mass (MAM). They should view their driving licence information to check.
- Motorists who passed their car driving test on or after 1 January 1997 can drive a car or van up to 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM. They can tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg.
- There are further size restrictions for trailers that can be towed by motorists who passed their test on or after 19 January 2013.
- Driving licence entitlements for motorhomes over 3,500kg also changed on 1 January 1997. Anyone who passed on or after that date can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg. People who passed before can drive vehicles weighing up to 7,500kg.